Any good marketer worth his salt will tell you that one of the most important, if not the most important, aspect of a sales copy is….the headline.
The headline is the first thing a prospect see when he looks at an advertisement. The headline is the advertisement…FOR the advertisement.
If you don’t grab the attention of your prospect there and then, he is gonna leave. Period.
And precisely because of this, copywriters spend hours tweaking the headlines, split testing different versions, to determine which gives the best conversion rate.
You will be surprised just how much a good headline can out-pull a less attention-grabbing variant (with all else being equal e.g. benefit, offer, guarantee etc).
What makes a good headline? We are looking at something that incorporate the one of the following (or a combination of them) :
- Compelling benefit for prospects (What’s in it for me?)
- Curiosity factor (cliff hanger style…)
- Personalization (YOU.., your name…)
- Specificity (exact numbers and figures)
- Thought-inducing (What if you can…? What if you are able…? If I tell you that you can do….?)